Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Hexathioorthooxalate <ruler_at_removemetoemail.clara.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 13:56:29 -0000

"Noons" <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message news:4234259e$0$30067$5a62ac22_at_per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au...

-tee-doo. Like: there is a BIG advantage in this...

>> dealing with XML doesn't force the database to perform data validity
>> checks over and over again via stored procedures, triggers etc before,
>> for example inserting a new row into a table. This is the overhead you
>> won't accept as part of your "overhead" argument.
>
> As usual: no clue. The validation is NOT done with triggers. Only in
> substandard "databases" does that happen. And it is as efficient and safe
> as
> can be: if the validation is associated with the storage of the data,
> there
> is NO WAY that it can be subverted. As soon as it is moved somewhere else
> under false pretense of "efficiency", subversion is the result.
> Like I said: these folks have NO CLUE why databases do what they do and
> WHY they evolved to do precisely that.

Come on please. You perform some validation in stored procs and triggers. You don't just allow the data to be inserted without checking it do you, especially if the external schema is stored procs effectively exposing the database through an API ! Only in substandard implementations would you NOT check the information. Received on Sun Mar 13 2005 - 07:56:29 CST