Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Hexathioorthooxalate <ruler_at_removemetoemail.clara.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 12 Mar 2005 16:03:38 -0000

Organisations have a growing requirement to store XML, like it or lump it.

Keep your head in the ground long enough and it will go away eh? I don't think so; XML is here, has been here for a while, and it is here to stay.

Anyway, what do you suggest? You have a large client where all processes rely on XML and the data you have to use, persist, and manipulate is XML. What are you going to do? Store the XML in a file and extract meta-data? Make the XML a flat table structure? Reject the data and rely on some O/R mapping tool? Or use an XML aware and capable database? Go on which one?

And we haven't even addressed that XML is offering the possibility of a true cross platform open long term data format. And it is simple. Hex