Re: Development Trends in Web and Oracle

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2005 13:27:37 +0100

derkan_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> We are using text version of oracle Forms 4.5 in unix environment and
> planning to upgrade to another programming environment. As because
> forms web version having performance problems, I am seeking alternative
> programming areas to do web development. Our business logic is about
> %70 in stored procedures. Our system is an OLTP environment.
>
> Now my question... Regarding performance and programming speed, what
> are the trends? Java is nice but not as a Forms plugin(jInitiator).
> Server side development in Java is my preferred option but for the
> explorer side, what is your option for XML-XSL templates? And are there
> any complute solutions for this kind of development?(IDE, framework,
> support..)
>
> Regards
> Erkan Durmus

" As because forms web version having performance problems" What problems? What version(s) - 4.5?!? 6i and 9i are capable of using pure HTML (so I was told), so there should not be a problem in that area.
As alternative - use PL/SQL (and take a look at HTML DB)

As to development speed: you seem to have Forms experience at your location, so why not use it? 10G Application server with Forms will hold for a couple of years - by then you're probably in for the next major overhaul.

As for trends - I don't give a dime for trends. I'd rather use what works, and is practical to use.

--
Regards,
Frank van Bortel