The Database Market

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:48:14 -0800

 From time to time we get nonsense posted here by trolls so, without being a pain in their usenet groups, and you know to whom I refer, I thought I'd post this here.

Source: Database Trends & Applications (www.dbta.com)

Robust RDBMS Growth

Market research firm IDC released preliminary database market results for 2004 that showed that the worldwide market for relational database management systems (RDBMS) grew by 11.6 percent to $14.9 billion in 2004.

The market research company attributed the growth to organizations responding to a backlog of database management requirements unmet over the past couple of years. There were no changes among the top five RDBMS vendors. Oracle leads the market with a 41.3 percent share worldwide, followed by IBM and Microsoft with 30.6 percent and 13.4 percent, respectively. Sybase and NCR Teradata each had a 3.1 percent market share. Microsoft experienced the strongest year-over-year growth on a percentage basis and Oracle had the strongest growth on a whole dollar basis in 2004, while IBM and Sybase both grew slower than the overall market. However, all five top vendors grew their database business in 2004.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington