Re: Strange question

From: Mark C. Stock <mcstockX_at_Xenquery>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 18:23:46 -0500

"Pawel" <pmg3REMOVETHIS_at_op.pl> wrote in message news:1ddkggkvuacra$.dlg_at_www.pmg3.pl...
> I'm currently preparing to 1z0-007 exam, and I'm trying to solve some of
> the exam problems from the TestKing publication.
> I've come across a strange problem:
>
> "A SQL query cannot display data from table B that is referred to in its
> subquery, unless table B is included in the main query's FROM clause"
>
> According to the provided answers, this is FALSE.
> However, I typed into SQL*PLUS a following statement:
>
> SELECT e.last_name, (SELECT d.location_id FROM departments d
> WHERE d.department_id = e.department_id) LOCATION
> FROM employees e
> /
>
> (I'm working with the HR schema provided with Oracle database)
>

> ....and it works perfectly, even though table d is not referenced in the
> main query's FROM clause....
>
> Is it a mistake in the TesKing's material???

yes.

a lot of such questions on such exams are based on unstated assumptions, and on obsolete versions of oracle -- others are just plain wrong.

not a good indicator of the insight of managers and policy makers who rely on certifications and other irrelevant tests

++ mcs Received on Thu Mar 10 2005 - 17:23:46 CST