Simple archive question

From: utkanbir <hopehope_123_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 9 Mar 2005 22:43:37 -0800

Hi ,

I am trying a very simple recovery but have not achived it yet.Here what i try to do:

This is a test database on my laptop , oracle 9.2.0.5 is installed and db server is in archive log mode.
After stopping the db server by using shutdown immediate , i copy all the data file ,redo log files , control files etc to my backup location. Then i restart the db , make some transactions (someof them are nologging some of them are logging operations) . Archive all the redo logs by using archive log all . Then at this point , i want to return to my previous backup and recover the dbserver up to the latest point in order to see which operations are really logged and recovered :

  1. I copy all the files from my backup location to the original location.
  2. startup mount
  3. recover database ;

At this point the command fails and says recover database using backup controlfile is necessary. Why?

3. recover database using backup controlfile;

this command applies each log , it says for some of the logs they are not required , at the end it asks for an archived log number which does not exist and fails.

Then recovery stops.

What point do i miss here? It seems very simple and staright forward but it fails.

I will be appreciated ,if some one can help me.

Kind Regards,
hope Received on Thu Mar 10 2005 - 00:43:37 CST