Re: standby delay

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 09 Mar 2005 00:46:35 +0100

On 8 Mar 2005 01:12:26 -0800, oily_dipstick_at_hotmail.com wrote:

>Why do people defend Mr Bakker? I just don't understand it. Granted he
>is capable of contributing greatly to this forum. But it is done with
>arrogance so often. Look at his posts and try to find one without some
>kind of put down - you will struggle.
>
>If he is so tired of the people who post here, why does he bother even
>monitoring the posts? Mr Bakker, why the attitude? Maybe if you explain
>some of us could understand the tone of your replies a little better.

I'm not sure whether you have ever noticed, that the majority of posts in this group are by people, who see this forum as a replacement for doing their own work, which is learning how things work, following up Oracle's descriptions on how to do things properly. Instead they have a bell heard ringing somewhere, they rush to their keyboard, they start designing a badly engineered solution, and when this solution doesn't work, they throw it over the fence and cry for help. If you would only verify how many people ask for help with cross version exports: they invariably create a 10g export and try to import it into 9i, or they create a 9i export and try to import it in 8i. This doesn't work, and what's more: it's DOCUMENTED.

If there is one thing many people here don't do: prepare themselves before executing a task or setting something. Either they are so convinced they know everything -because they are OCP- or they didn't learn from their previous disasters, or they are simply too incompetent or too lazy.

My firm is involved in remote administration. When we start administrating a site the database is invariably -no exaggeration- a *complete mess*. They have implemented all kind of problems, of which anyone with a bit of experience *knows* they exist, *knows* you shouldn't develop software without using environment variables, *know* you shouldn't expose the system password in a XML document (I'm not joking), etc, etc, etc.
I have personally cleaned out many of those messes. Over and over again I'm confronted with people who think they can resolve performance problems by allocating a 8G SGA where they have 16G memory. It DOESN'T work, and even worse: THEY COULD HAVE KNOWN IT!!!

I'm also not sure you ever noticed in this forum there are less than 10 people regularly responding to peoples queries. Apparently there should be more people knowing you can't import a 10g export into a 9i database. However, those people never volunteer to take of somewhat of the burden of the regulars, to answer all those FAQs. Most people posting here don't read manuals, they don't search Google for a solution to their problem, they just post. If I would stop responding those requests, or Daniel Morgan would stop responding, this forum is going to dry up, and no one would ever get an answer.

This brings me to your contribution.
It appears you are a lurker. You have never contributed anything useful to this forum, other than flames directed to a few regulars. Also you hide your identity behind some funny nick. I don't. You may not appreciate my attitude, but I don't appreciate yours. If you don't appreciate my real life experience and wisdom, why don't you just put me in your killfile?

Regards

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA