Re: rman (again..and again..:-)

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:25:35 GMT

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 16:32:47 +0100, Vince wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm using rman to backup database..ok.
> first, I begin to backup controlfile.
> Then, I backup database.
> but..do I need to backup archived files? (indeed rman needs a db to be
> in archive mode to backup it..)
> if so, what for?
>
> thanks a lot..
> Vince..

I recommend you [re-]read the manual "Backup and Recovery Concepts" (specifically section "Backups of Online Tablespaces and Datafiles" and the following "RMAN and User-Managed Backups") and then maybe the manual "Oracle9i Recovery Manager User's Guide". The answers are in there - there are a lot of concepts and it's worth the effort to reread several times.

Remember that RMAN does some of it's work in conjunction with the instance's SGA so the instance needs to be up. To whit, from the User's Guide "Recovery Manager is a client/server application that uses database server sessions to perform backup and recovery." Hence the need for ArchiveLog Mode.

Remember that the database could be online. How do you ensure consistent recovery from online backups without archivelog files? (Ensure != need every time.) You do not need to back them up through RMAN as long as you can guarantee they will be available during recovery if necessary. So letting RMAN take care of them is just the easy way.

/FGB Received on Tue Mar 08 2005 - 10:25:35 CST