Re: Client Setup

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2005 08:26:31 +0100

On 4 Mar 2005 21:50:18 -0800, "BayAreaKen" <misterken_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>Just installed 10g onto a WinXP Pro computer.
>
>I want to install the Oracle client onto a workstation now. My question
>is how do I "connect" the client to the server. I know in the past the
>Oracle DBAs have created the entry in my tnsnames.ora file. But I also
>know there is the sqlnames.ora file. Which would be the appropriate one
>to setup? Is the tnsnames.ora file outdated now and the sqlnames.ora
>file used now?
>
>What information do I need to get from the server in order to define
>the client so that it connects?
>
>Thanks.
>
>Ken

I don't think there is such a thing like sqlnames.ora. They could have being setting up Oracle names, but the location of the Oracle Names server is in your sqlnet.ora (in the form of names.preferred_servers = etc...) You should in this case also have a line reading names.directory_path = (onames, tnsnames, host) in your sqlnet.ora

Oracle Names is obsolete and has been replaced by Oracle Internet Directory.

The tnsnames.ora file is still fine and dandy. From the server you'll need
the service_name parameter of your database The port the listener is running on (usually 1521)

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA