Re: DB2 UDB or Oracle (who has better support)

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 3 Mar 2005 23:02:36 -0800

Mark A wrote:
> Daniel is very upset, however, that DB2 for AS/400 and VM, and z/OS
have
> different code bases from each other and from DB2 for Linux, UNIX,
and
> Windows. This is true even though Oracle does not run on AS/400 or
VM, and
> is not used in production very often on z/OS (formally known as
OS/390).

Careful there, Mark. Last time I went throught the mainframe vs Unix vs AS400 db2 differences, there were quite a few that can spring on the unwary. Like different limits on field names, lengths, table names, name lengths, and so on. Unless you are aware of those and you code for the least denominator, you can get royally stuck with all this "runs the same everywhere". It may run the same, but it DOES have different limits that may affect your code if you are not aware of them and code defensively. It's a far cry from being just a difference between "/" and "\"!... Received on Fri Mar 04 2005 - 01:02:36 CST