Re: Oracle upgrade MSCG

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 18:34:07 -0800

yls177 wrote:
> DA Morgan wrote:
>

>>yls177 wrote:
>>

>>>Hi.

> new
>
>>>/oracle filesystem. In a HP MSCG, with 2 nodes and one package, is

> it
>
>>>possible to have /oracle filesystem not in the share volume group?
>>>
>>>Please advise
>>
>>Based on what little you have posted I can't imagine anyone being

> able
>
>>to help you.
>>
>>Please reread your post. Do you see any version numbers? Do you see

> any
>
>>operating system info? Do you see any statement whether 2 nodes means
>>RAC or is refering to something else?
>>--
>>Daniel A. Morgan
>>University of Washington
>>damorgan_at_x.washington.edu
>>(replace 'x' with 'u' to respond)

> 1) B3935DA A.11.12 MC / Service Guard
> 2) HPUX 11.0
> 3) 2 nodes means my HPUX ServiceGuard has a productive node and a
> adoptive node with one package
> 4) Current Oracle is 8.1.7 to upgrade to 9.2.0.5
>
> Let me restate my question.
>
> Curently, my /oracle is on /. However, SAP Oracle upgrade guides needs
> an additional 500MB for /oracle. Therefore, there is a need to create a
> new /oracle filesystem. Yup, the scenario to create /oracle as a
> filesystem is as below
>
> a) as a local filesystem
> b) as a filesystem which is in the package control script in the
> section like ""LV[0]=/dev/pvg70/plvol78; FS[0]=/oracle/PRD;
> FS_MOUNT_OPT[0]="-o rw""" so that this is failed over as well.
>

> In additional, i noticed that /oracle contains stuff which are not
> really needed for a necessary startup of SAP/ORACLE. Please advise.

Certainly far more than 500MB of demos and tutorial files are in your current ORACLE_HOME file system. If it works for you delete them. But be careful to not delete anything actually required. Are you using LMT or DMT? With 8i I'm going to expect DMT and recreating tablespaces as LMT might be useful too. What is your PCTFREE and PCTUSED? If the default likely 40% of your disk space is just wasted.

But create a separate file system? Why? Maybe someone sees something I don't but I can't imagine why Oracle would care.