Re: DB2 UDB or Oracle (who has better support)

From: GreyBeard <Fuzzy.GreyBeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2005 02:48:33 GMT

<stuff snipped>

> I feel my bottom line decision will not be based on features/functionality,
> but rather on quality of support.

If you base your decision on quality of support (or of technology, or anything else) then be prepared to switch periodically. Regardless of company, it depends on where you are in the 'shareholder value' (aka cost cutting) cycle.

In my experience Oracle support has ranged from extremely poor to fantastic. Currently it seem to be mediocre.

Some of my colleagues who have had DB2 experience have said the quality of support also varies for that product. No idea where in the cycle it currently stands.

IMO, a better plan is to become very comfortable with a specific product, and get to know the local sales rep and, much more importantly, the local Sales Consultant [SC]. The SCs have access to the info, and can help you navigate the the current support model properly. IOW, pick your poison and become happy with it.

FGB Received on Wed Mar 02 2005 - 20:48:33 CST