Re: Question re basic replication

From: Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2005 14:58:06 +0100

Ingo Peters wrote:
> On 2005-03-01, Frank van Bortel <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote:
>

>>And yes - this can be done on the remote side/sites;
>>just create refresh packages/procedures, and call
>>these from the master site.
>>
>>But I fail to see what this has to do with replication
>>as I know it.

> Well, what you've described, i.e. refresh packages/procedures, is what
> replication is. I don't see anything wrong with wanting to propogate
> tables to other dbs. But perhaps another approach would be to use daily
> fast refreshes (perhaps even every hour or so) instead of complete refreshes.
> That way you're only refreshing what has actually changed without
> needing to initiate the data push from the master. If no data has
> changed on the master then the operation wouldn't take too long.
>
> Ingo

I did not describe that; you conveniently snipped the quote out of context.
And by doing so, you also fail to quote the fact that fast refreshes are not in order here; fast refreshes propagate the *changes* (the alter, delete, alter, delete, etc stuff that was in my original post).

But still: what the OP tries to accomplish, is not replication in my book, as per the last line in my original post.

--
Frank van Bortel