Re: standby delay

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 01 Mar 2005 23:36:24 +0100

On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 14:56:07 GMT, "Charles J. Fisher" <cfisher_at_rhadmin.org> wrote:

>Under 8i, I've implemented a simple script to hold the standby at a 4-hour
>window in the past (measured from the arrival of a compressed archived
>log), so an "ALTER DATABASE OPEN READ ONLY" lets me fish out accidentally
>deleted objects (and the like).
>
>Who needs 9i flashback? :)

Evidently you don't know flashback has nothing to do with standby (aka Dataguard)
And Dataguard comes for free with 9i.
So who needs crappy home-grown scripts? In fact you don't even need them in 8i. Standby database works!

And 9i implements logical standby and delays so you scripts are fully redundant in 9i, unless you insist to retain Oracle 7 solutions forever.

--
Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA