Re: Moving Instance from One Server to Another (ERROR: ORA-01031)

From: HARI OM <hari_om_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 1 Mar 2005 06:40:18 -0800

Hello Everyone,

This is what I did.
$ ./sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
Connected to an idle instance.
SQL> @/scripts/create.sql
CREATE CONTROLFILE SET DATABASE "TIGER" RESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG *
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

As mentioned earlier, I am TRYING to MOVE the INSTANCE from ONE MACHINE to ANOTHER. All I have done is to MOVE all the DBF and LOG Files to this new Server (doing cold backup) but then how would ORACLE Recognize this is NEW INSTANCE... and how can I proceed? I am trying to execute the "Create Control File..." Trace which I generated from my frist server.

So then I start up my Instance (which is still not being configured) SQL> startup
ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters LRM-00109: could not open parameter file '/OraHome1/dbs/inituttest.ora' Received on Tue Mar 01 2005 - 08:40:18 CST