Re: Oracle 9i on linux?

From: John Hurley <johnbhurley_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: 31 Oct 2004 09:43:52 -0800

snip

> Beyond that much, I'm not sure what exactly you're asking. If you want to
> know how to install Oracle 9i on Red Hat Advanced Server 3, there's always
> my article at www.dizwell.com (end of shameless plug).

snip

Howard's advice is dead on try experimenting with white box if you have time or if you need to purchase a supported version go with RHAS 3.

The subject of which linux distribution to use gets into the religious category for some people (which one is better aka people feel very strongly) but certainly RHAS and therefore whitebox is most widely used.

http://www.puschitz.com/ has some good info the dizwell site seems to have similar info (or used to dunno whats on there now).

Make sure you take the time to read some of the oracle doc on how to install oracle on a unix box and play around a couple of times before setting into a plan. You will also want to make sure you understand some of the concepts about partitioning drives for linux/unix and mirroring.

Sun also has a free downloadable version of Solaris x86 (Solaris on intel) that works very nicely but only Oracle 10g ( not 9i ) is available on that platform. Received on Sun Oct 31 2004 - 11:43:52 CST