Re: Need basic explanation of standby server hardware and costs

From: Volker Hetzer <volker.hetzer_at_ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:41:30 +0200

"Alex Glaros" <alexg_at_xsurfermall.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:4181E4C0.C6ED31C5_at_xsurfermall.com...
> I'm an Oracle beginner looking for an automatic standby system for a 9i
> database that lets clients do queries over the internet.
>
> I would like to add another server so that while it's being updated
> during low client usage at night, the other server is up. Then, when
> during the day when the queries are the busiest, both servers are up
> under a load-balancing configuration. If one server hangs up during
> the nightly copy process, then the other server stays on line by itself.
>
> There's no writing or editing type transactions going on during the day,
> just clients reading the data.
>
> There's about 10 million records that are retrieved via a PL/SQL created
> web interface. The web site gets a high volume of hits.
>
> Can anyone give me a really rough idea of what my options are to
> accomplish the above and even rougher idea of what the costs would be to
> add another server and other hardware? Can you spell out the concepts
> for me in basic terms that almost a lay person could understand? Any
> info would be appreciated.

There are several options:
If it doesn't matter that the two servers get out of sync during daytime you can set up a physical standby database and open it readonly during daytime. At night it recovers the changes. You could also open it readonly for lets say 55 minutes every hour and give it 5 mins to resynchronize. Depending on the amount of redos generated.

If it does matter you can set up a logical standby database. It resynchronizes all the time (but has other quirks you *have* to know about before deploying it) and you can do queries all the time.

You can do RAC.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker Received on Fri Oct 29 2004 - 04:41:30 CDT