Re: Rowid generated by Oracle Server ?!?

From: HansF <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:00:18 GMT

Juliano wrote:

> My application doesn´t have any rowid
> in select list. But, in a deadlock problem
> detected, the query that was locked had a
> rowid in the select list and a for update.
> Can oracle server generated it?!?

From Oracle's documentation:

ROWID A globally unique identifier for a row in a database. It is created at the time the row is inserted into a table, and destroyed when it is removed from a table.

Since this is intrinsic to the most fundemental concepts of Oracle, I encourage you to use the documentation to get background on this.

The docco can be found at http://docs.oracle.com or http://tahiti.oracle.com

Assuming Oracle9i Release 2, do a search on Rowid in the text box at http://www.oracle.com/pls/db92/db92.homepage - there are several important entries in the Concepts manual.

/Hans Received on Mon Oct 25 2004 - 16:00:18 CDT