Need help on MTS configuration

From: Syltrem <syltremzulu_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:27:32 -0400

Hi

Oracle 8174 on Alpha OpenVMS 7.2-1

I'm working on the configuration of MTS (multithreaded / shared server). I was able to get it to work rather quickly yesterday, but I had a problem with clients connecting through CMAN. The dispatcher would just froze (don`t ask me why but that`s the way it was) and the db had to be bounced. Any client already connmected to a shared server would freeze as soon as a client connecting through CMAN, tried to connect to the shared server.

Anyway...

I looked in the documentation some more and found that some of the parameters (namely mts_service and mts_listener_address) I was using were deprecated in 817, so I tried changing the config to use the new parameters

I ended up with this (in INIT.ORA):
db_name = "ZZZRCS"
instance_name = ZZZRCS
mts_dispatchers =
"(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=MYVMS)(PORT=1526)(SERVICE=MTS_ZZZRCS)" mts_max_dispatchers = 3
mts_servers = 4
db_domain = world
service_names = ZZZRCS, MTS_ZZZRCS
local_listener = "(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=MYVMS)(PORT=1526))"

Upon starting the db, it registers with the listener (or so it appears,see below) but I can't connect to any of the services defined in parameters service_names or mts_dispatcher.

The listener sure sees something (see below) but it won`t let me connect.

I tried defining the ZZZRCS service in LISTENER.ORA and reload the listener, and that allowed me to connect. So I don`t understand the part about "database will autoregister to the listener" if I need to manually enter everything in LISTENER.ORA.
That`s for one.

Now I want the MTS_ZZZRCS service to connect me through a SHARED server. It won`t let me do that because:
1) the registration with the listener does not really seem to work right
(same problem as with service ZZZRCS)

Message when attempting to connect to service ZZZRCS: "ORA-12514: TNS:listener could not resolve SERVICE_NAME given in connect descriptor"

2) even If I add the info in the listener it will think it`s for dedicated server connections
Message when attempting to connect to service MTS_ZZZRCS: "ORA-12520: TNS:listener could not find available handler for requested type of server"

So this new config with the "new" parameters is even worse as it does not work at all.

I'd like to have 2 services for this db, one that connects to a dedicated server, one that connects to a shared server. And be able to connect clients to the shared server (service MTS_ZZZRCS) even if they connect through CMAN
(because those are the ones I mainly want to use the shared servers == web
site users).

I hope someone can help me sort this all out !

Thanks
Syltrem

LSNRCTL command output:

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=MYVMS)(PORT=1526)) Services Summary...
Service "MTS_ZZZRCS.world" has 1 instances.

    Instance "ZZZRCS"

      Class: ORACLE
        DEDICATED established:0 refused:0 current:0 max:0 state:ready

(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=IVA$EXE_ALPHA:[ORACLE8174.NETWORK.ADMIN]
ORASRV_NETV2_ZZZRCS.COM)(ARGV0=oracleZZZRCS)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=no)(A DDRE
SS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)))'))

            Session: NS
        D000 established:0 refused:0 current:0 max:1022 state:ready
        (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=MYVMS)(PORT=4060))
            Session: NS
Service "ZZZRCS.world"          has 1 instances.
    Instance "ZZZRCS"
      Class: ORACLE
        DEDICATED established:0 refused:0 current:0 max:0 state:ready

(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)(PROGRAM=IVA$EXE_ALPHA:[ORACLE8174.NETWORK.ADMIN]
ORASRV_NETV2_ZZZRCS.COM)(ARGV0=oracleZZZRCS)(ARGS='(DESCRIPTION=(LOCAL=no)(A DDRE
SS=(PROTOCOL=BEQ)))'))
            Session: NS

TNSNAMES.ORA

ZZZRCS.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = MYVMS)(PORT = 1526))     )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = ZZZRCS)
      (SERVER = DEDICATED)

    )
  )

MTS_ZZZRCS.WORLD =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = MYVMS)(PORT = 1526))     )
    (CONNECT_DATA =

      (SERVICE_NAME = MTS_ZZZRCS)
      (SERVER = SHARED)

    )