Migrate from DMT to LMT when fet$ and uet$ counts > 700,000

From: Charles <cdavis10717_at_comcast.net>
Date: 22 Oct 2004 05:18:35 -0700

All,

I have a 1.8TB database with all Dictionary Managed Tablespaces.

It's a very active SAP Business Warehouse application.

We've sort of reached 'critical mass' with the fragmentation of it, and now SMON coalescing is so slow that "Disk Space Transaction" locks are hanging up the entire db.

I've added events to disable SMON coalescing while we deal with this.

Oracle is telling me I must run tablespace coalescing at 'quiet' times prior to migrating the tablespace to Locally Managed Tablespaces.

I want to migrate them now to eliminate the contention on the fet$ and uet$ tables in the SYSTEM tablespace.

I await Oracle's technical reasons why I cannot migrate now.

I have done the migration in all non-production instances of this warehouse application; they ran seemingly ok and those databases are performing well, according to the warehouse users.

What is your experience with this? What's the problem or the bad results in the LMT if I migrate these tablespaces now?

Am looking for the quick fix now, to be following to reorgs later.

Thank you.

Charles Received on Fri Oct 22 2004 - 07:18:35 CDT