Re: Comparison of DB2 and Oracle?

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 21 Oct 2004 15:09:11 -0700

Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com> wrote in message news:<2tpoheF221ps9U1_at_uni-berlin.de>...

> Now that R correlates, for all major RDBMS that I know, quite well with
> SQL as it's access language. Do you know of other languages commonly
> used in an RDBMS? Yes, there could be, but there aren't.

Yes I do, and yes there are. Quel from Ingres is one of them. They still make it available, last time I looked. Sure it's not much used and anyone using anything other than SQL must have rocks on their head or doing research. That's not the point, though. The point is that relational != SQL. Period. A DML is not a data storage theory.

> There is a lot of bloat going on in the market (and I'm not excluding
> any vendor)
> and that's where the open source products come in...

Absolutely. But let's bot in the name of marketing subvert theory, OK?

> Not everyone needs a Winnebago. Some folks just want to commute to
> work... Mind you that doesn't make Winnebagos bad

They better all have at least four wheels... Received on Thu Oct 21 2004 - 17:09:11 CDT