Re: Fail Safe Installation Question

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 06:59:00 +1000

Howard J. Rogers wrote:

> John Hurley wrote:
>

>>> I'm not totally clear about the Fail Safe Installation instructions.
>>
>> What's Fail Safe an anacronym for RAC?

> Absolutely not. RAC is multiple instances capable of working on one
> database simultaneously. Failsafe is a set of software components which,
> on detecting that an instance or node has crashed, will automatically
> start a replacement instance on another node. It is, in short, a
> single-instance implementation on top of clustered hardware.
>
> Regards
> HJR
And I meant to add, since it is NOT a real application cluster, it doesn't come with real application cluster prices. Meaning that it's not 'inferior' to RAC, but merely providing relatively high availability at relatively low cost. It is therefore a perfectly good product in its own right.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Oct 21 2004 - 15:59:00 CDT