Re: RMAN problem:

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:34:03 -0400

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:16:02 -0700, TechnicSpark wrote:

> I configured the catalog DB seperate from target DB.

That is the usual configuration. Doing otherwise would be strange.

> If I run it from
> catalog server I can't startup target database after I shutdown it.

Of course you can't. You should do it either from the target machine or from OEM, if you have the intelligent agent running. If you don't have the dimwitted agent running, you are trying to connect through the listener. As the target database is down, it has no servers, so listener cannot find any server to connect. The net result is that you don't connect. There is an utility called "cron" that is ideal for occasionally running RMAN backup

--
Artificial Intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.