Re: spfile vs pfile in 9i

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 12:57:23 GMT

In article <87bc8a5f.0410120846.75eeb98e_at_posting.google.com>, richardpstanton_at_yahoo.com (Richard Stanton) wrote:

>Also, why are there so many pfiles created for each database in 9i,
>and what do they all do?

>I have a test database and the following pfiles have been created for
>it:

>oracle\ora92\database\inittest.ora

The pfile your database uses to startup IF there's no spfile. In your case, you have a spfile, so this one is not used.

>oracle\ora92\sysman\ifiles\def_TEST.domain.co.UK.ora

Probably used by EM... if you use it. Basically, it's a copy of your pfile.

>oracle\admin\test\pfile\init.ora

A backup copy of your pfile. Not used.

>and this spfile:
>
>oracle\ora92\database\spfiletest.ora

A spfile version of your pfile... and the one that's being used to startup your database. Received on Wed Oct 13 2004 - 07:57:23 CDT