Re: GLOBAL_STATS

From: Holger Baer <holger.baer_at_science-computing.de>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 14:07:17 +0200

Martin Preiss wrote:
> Hello,
>
> after some CTAS-operations on my Oracle 10.1.0.2 Server (SE) i see
> that there are many entries in user_tables with GLOBAL_STATS = 'NO'.
> The database reference tells me:
>
> GLOBAL_STATS:
> For partitioned tables, indicates whether statistics were collected
> for the table as a whole (YES) or were estimated from statistics on
> underlying partitions and subpartitions (NO)
>
> Since these tables are not partitioned (the feature is not included in
> SE) i have no idea how they got the flag. The problem is that the
> tables seem to be excluded from the automatic statistic gathering. Is
> it possible to change the GLOBAL_STATS-flag? (i didn't find a fitting
> ALTER TABLE command) Or have i to use dbms_stats now to get the
> statistics? And what's the reason for the GLOBAL_STATS='NO'-entries
> for non-partitioned tables?
>
> Kind regards
>
> Martin Preiss

The automatic statististic gathering only gatheres statistics for tables that
a) have monitoring set to yes (check dba_tables for those tables) b) changed enough so the gather stale option of dbms_stats kicks in

I'm a bit missing why you conclude that the value for GLOBAL_STATS influences automatic statistics gathering. It should be the other way round. Perhaps you care to sched some light on your findings?

Cheers,

Holger Received on Wed Oct 13 2004 - 07:07:17 CDT