Re: How to perform a health check?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 12 Oct 2004 16:42:29 -0700

wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Noons) wrote in message news:<73e20c6c.0410120118.625e02d1_at_posting.google.com>...
> joel-garry_at_home.com (Joel Garry) wrote in message news:<91884734.0410111410.15172b1b_at_posting.google.com>...
> >
> > Stored Procedures, old chap. Before about 15 years ago, they weren't
> > much in the dba skill set.
> >

> Ding ding. You're of course right. SPs are relatively new,
> but they are not the main portion of a dba's life either.
> At least I hope they aren't! :)

I've noted before that seemed to be the mark of a Sybase shop, don't know if it is now or ever was actually true. Just what I picked up working for places in the early 90's that were expanding from Sybase to multiple db vendors, the dba's always seemed to think memorizing and writing SP's were what a dba does. Also got that feeling from some Oracle interviews in the latter 90's, but since no place where I got that from ever hired me, can't evaluate it. I always thought it should be a developer task, just the implementation is administration.  Of course, I also thought there should be developer-dba's, as a job function separate from production-dba's, too.

Did somebody ask about a database health check? http://metalink.oracle.com/metalink/plsql/ml2_documents.showFrameDocument?p_database_id=NOT&p_id=122669.1

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.  "I'm going down.  I'm going down, down, down,
down, down, down.  I've got my head out the window And my bare feet on