Re: ORA-12541: TNS:no listener

From: Howard J. Rogers <hjr_at_dizwell.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 15:45:11 +1000

Gyruss wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have no trouble connecting to orcl on a windows 2000 box if I don't
> specify a TNS connection string, whenever I do though, I get the error:
>
> ORA-12541: TNS:no listener
>
> The service is running

WHICH service? There are lots of them. Specifically, is there a TNSListener service running?

> and the database name is defined in tnsnames.ora.
>
> What gives?

Well, the fact that you only posted a tnsnames.ora might perhaps indicate that you don't actually have a listener.ora to attach as well.

You need to fire up the Network Configuration Assistant, and use it to create a Listener. Because of the contents of your tnsnames.ora, you'll have to arrange for it to run on port 1521, which is the default setting anyway. Once it's running, try again.

Your connections work without a tns alias because that bypasses the listener altogether and forces IPC connections.

Regards
HJR Received on Fri Oct 08 2004 - 00:45:11 CDT