Re: Periodic restart plusses and minuses?

From: Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 03:59:17 GMT

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96533/tools.htm#28104

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96519/intro.htm#1005206

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96519/glossary.htm#432645
> avoiding fractured block issues while still being able to run
> overnight/month-end reports or other things that a growing business
> might run into.
>

>> Due to politics, I will not provide an opinion or even make a supportable
>> statement in either direction. This needs to be an external (to me)
>> reference, and preferrably not an unsupported anecdote.
>>
>> (Once they're over this, I hope the discussion can get back to a pure
>> business benefits discussion!)
>>
>> Thanks in Advance for helping control the local noise pollution!
>> /Hans
>
> I'm with Mark on the nightly RMANs and weekly cold's, it seems to
> cover most situations.
>
> jg

Thanks all. I got the diversion I needed to get them back on track.

From Howard's response I realized the core was a 'tuning by ratios' discussion. I printed off some of the NG's thread around the 'value of ratio-based tuning' [ ;-Q ] from a few months ago. That diverted their attention and the discussion is now proceeding smoothly toward RMAN and nightly warms.

/Hans Received on Thu Oct 07 2004 - 22:59:17 CDT