Re: How to perform a health check?

From: Steve <ThisOne_at_Aint.valid>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2004 16:49:16 +1300

Daniel Morgan wrote:
> Noons wrote:
>

>> Hans Forbrich <news.hans_at_telus.net> wrote in message

>>> a) For the standard ... what's wrong with the definition of DBA that
>>> Oracle
>>> provides?  It's been part of the DBA guide since Version 5 (or earlier).
>>

>> What's wrong?
>> 1- It's Oracle's definition.  I want an industry standard.
>> If I wanted another "defacto standard", I'd stay with
>> M$ and not bother about Oracle.
>> 2- It is the job description of a production dba.  That has
>> never been enough.
>> 3- It seems to imply that anything that is "technical" should
>> be left to Oracle support.  Sure...

> Here's one thing I would want to see in a definition of an Oracle DBA's
> job.
>
> 1. Will review the alert log every morning and log any warning messages.
>
> I have yet to find the DBA that does that. Which is not to say that some
> aren't doing it ... but I just have yet to have the pleasure of working
> with them.

Personally, I have written scripts to perform such trivial tasks, and then email the condensed result, flagging as urgent if necessary. My aim is to continuously *improve* performance and reliability, and to spend as much time working on new and therefore interesting stuff, not to get bogged down in the mundane.

But then, I'm a systems admin as well, so maybe I have a different viewpoint.

Steve Received on Sat Oct 02 2004 - 22:49:16 CDT