Re: Session memory usage

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.nospam.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:36:01 GMT

"Fredrik Bertilsson" <fredrik_bertilsson_at_passagen.se> wrote in message news:31f7e57d.0407280201.26084b99_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi,
> does someone know how much memory a user session takes on a Oracle
> database server? How many concurrent user sessions can a normal server
> (4 GB primary memory) handle, before connection pooling is needed?

Hi Fredrik,

With the info you've provided, it's an impossible question to answer.

What version of Oracle ?
What type of server ? What O/S ?
What "type" of database are we're talking here ? What's the size and expected usage of the database ? What are these concurrent users going to do on the DB ? Run hundreds of different massive DW financial reports or occasionally insert a row into a table ?
Do you have good developers or bad developers ? What would be "acceptable" response times for all these different activities ?
What do you mean by "normal" ?

List goes on and on but you get my point ...

In theory, an Oracle session could be as small or as large as you can imagine. Nearly.

Cheers

Richard Received on Wed Jul 28 2004 - 07:36:01 CDT