Re: Forgot the password for scott

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 22:56:55 GMT

AK wrote:

> Hi all,
> Thanks for the reply. I am running both the client and the server on
> the Windows XP system. I am able to change the password for scott. But
> I did'nt understand why I have to unlock the account scott after I
> change the password. Please let me know the concept. And yes, I have
> started reading the docs. Thank you!
>
> Vik!

The concept - a number of well known userids (such as SCOTT) have published default passwords. DBAs would leave then unchanged, therefore anyone could get in and chew CPU cycles. Orace instrduced the idea of 'locking' accounts as a security measure. Now all unnecessary accounts are locked, and therefore unavailable, by default.

Side benefit is the ability to have an account associated with a schema but not used by the user (or developer) community. Have the distinct advantage of requiring codig to user capability instead of to superuser. Received on Fri Jul 23 2004 - 17:56:55 CDT