Re: Upgrade from 8.1.7.4

From: Cookie Monster <cookie.monster_at_somewhere.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 15:00:23 +0200

"Jeremy" <newspostings_at_hazelweb.co.uk> wrote in message news:MPG.1b697e3330f7e58b989cae_at_news.individual.net...
> For a production system - we are moving to a new Sun box running Solaris
> 9. Currently on Solaris 2.6 / 8.1.7.4 and we use Oracle 9iAS for the
> Apache and mod_plsql.
>
> Would you go to the terminal release of 9i or goto 10g? We don't need
> any advanced new features and run quite happily on standard edition.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Since you are only going to use the standard edition and none of the fancy advanced features of oracle enterprise server I would go for 10g. Some of the advanced features are not 100% bug free in 10g (or 9i for that matter) but since you won't be using them there is no need to worry. Jump to 10g and you get all the useful management features that really help you spend less time worrying about running the database so you can spend more time using it.

The basic problem I see with 10g is that there is little actual usage in the market and thus if you get stuck with some problem very few people can help you out (unless you have oracle support). But for the basic version this should not be an issue, you only get problems when using the advanced features.

Hope that helps.

Cookie.