Re: Oracle RAC?

From: Michael Austin <maustin_at_firstdbasource.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 15:18:07 GMT

Mike wrote:

> Just had a salesman tell me that the problem with RAC not scaling
> above eight nodes was a problem with 9i and is now fixed in 10g.
> He also said that there is a 120 Oracle RAC cluster running
> [somewhere] in Japan.
>
> Does anyone know if this has been fixed? We're (the company) is
> considering Oracle for a ~1TB database.

So, why do you think you need more than 10 nodes on a 1TB database? I have seen multiple 1TB+ environments implemented on a single (albeit 4-,8-,16- and 32-way) system(s) (different backend environments) with 8-24 Citrix servers as the middle tier connecting to that single system.

There are a LOT of things to consider when asking this question. OS, Hardware, CPU mfgr, mix of read vs. write transactions, other applications running on the server, choice of storage vendor and SAN vendor (or is this all just a couple of Wintel boxes with a bunch of IDE drives - not a real smart choice, but it's your data).

--
Michael Austin.
Consultant - Available.