Re: Very long "WHERE" list.

From: <ctcgag_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 16 Jul 2004 16:39:41 GMT

Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote:
> ctcgag_at_hotmail.com wrote:

> >>Have you ever typed in 20,000 anythings?
> >

> > Yep.
>
> Sorry but I have reservations.

That's your perogative. Most of the places I go, I can get seated immediately without them.

> >>How long did it take?
> >
> > A few days.
>
> And your employer paid you for this?

Yes. It was quite a few promotions ago, so they didn't pay very well, though.

> Anyone doing this on my dime
> would be looking for another job.

Not all professions have the luxury of ignoring those parts of reality which are inconvenient.

> >>How many mistakes did you make?
> >
> > None.
>
> Nonsense. Pure unadulterated nonsense.

The only mistakes the check-sum algorithm found were present in the original source material.

> >>Copied and pasted in a list of 20,000 items? Nonsense!
> >
> > I've done it twice so far today, and it is only 8:14 a.m.
>
> Given that it is impossible to do this in Oracle how did
> you accomplish it?

You don't copy and paste things into Oracle. You paste them into applications. Whether you run into Oracle's scalibility limits or not depends on what the application does with the data. In one case, the app put them into an in-list and submitted it to a mysql database. In the other case, the app looped over the pasted-in entries and queried them against Oracle individually.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB