Solaris kernel parms

From: David E. Grove <david_grove_at_correct.state.ak.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:18:16 -0800

We are setting up a development/experimental box with both Informix and Oracle. (Sun V480, Solaris 9, Informix 9.4, Oracle 10G).

Both systems specify values for certain kernel parameters in /etc/system. Typically, the recommended values are different for Informix and Oracle. Usually, the Informix requirements are higher; for example, semsys:seminfo_semmni=4096 for Informix, but only 100 for Oracle.

Where Oracle and Informix kernel parameters differ, should I use the larger of the two? Or, perhaps, I should just use the sum of the two recommended values (for all of the parms)?

Comments solicited and welcome.

Thank you.

Regards,

DG

--
David Grove

"I think not," said Descartes, and disappeared.