ORA-12641 with SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NTS)

From: Norbert <iwandraskovic_at_yahoo.de>
Date: 14 Jul 2004 09:23:40 -0700

Configuration:
Database-Server Oracle 8.1.7 Standard Edition on W2K Server Application-Server W2K Prof with Oracle 8.1.7-Client connected over TCPIP,
nameresolution via tnsnames.

Everytime our process with db-connectivity by OCI starts as a windows-service the connect-attempt to the database fails with "ORA-12641:TNS:authentication service failed to initialize".

The same process is connecting to the db without problems if we start him from the shell (not as a service).

The solution for this problem is to change the SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES line in the SQLNET.ORA on the client to SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES=(NONE) but our customer is not going to accept this because he needs this feature for other applications (admin-account to the db with authentication by windows).

Here's the sqlnet.ora from server and client (they are the same on both machines):

NAMES.DEFAULT_DOMAIN = xx.yy.zz.com
SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES= (NTS)
NAMES.DIRECTORY_PATH= (TNSNAMES) I can't reproduce this problem in my environment, regardless of the SQLNET.AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES settings i have no problem to connect oracle as
a service, so any hint will be appreciated.

thanks,

Norbert Received on Wed Jul 14 2004 - 11:23:40 CDT