Re: Oracle-9i datafiles 10 times larger on MacOS (Panther) !?

From: Ronald Rood <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 13:15:15 +0200

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Thomas Schreiner wrote:
> Steve schrieb:
> > this week I installed Oracle 9.2.0.1.0 on my Mac for development (Mac
> > OSX 10.3.4, Panther, Dual G5, 2.5GB Ram, 50+GB free disk). I then
> > imported a dump from the live server (1GB of data) and was a bit
> > surprised when I kept getting "can't add extent to tablespace" errors.
> > On the G5 I now have 5 datafiles for the tablespace, 4 are maxed out
> > at 8GB (!? 32Bit = 4GB - huh?), and the 5th also has 1GB (33GB
> > total)!! On the Live Solaris Server the same data, in the same version
> > of oracle, using the same schema, with the same indexes etc. and the
> > same application uses less than 2GB.
> Try parameter compress=n in the EXP command.
>
> Thomas

Could it be that there are just lots of tables and indexes ? What is the block size and what is the extent size ? With a little bad luck, a small table in the source database takes a bit more space in the new database ...

Ronald.

http://homepage.mac.com/ik_zelf/oracle Received on Wed Jul 14 2004 - 06:15:15 CDT