Re: Changing Oracle User Passwords

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2004 16:43:19 -0700

melliott42_at_yahoo.com (Michael) wrote in message news:<91721cf.0407100845.5dfbe280_at_posting.google.com>...
> Hello All,
>
> I have been given a directive to change all our )Oracle 8.17
> passwords. I think this means these accounts: sys,system,sysman.
>
> I have been able to change the sys and system passwords running
> $ORACLE_HOME\bin\oradim as follows:
>
> oradim -EDIT -SID <sid name> -INTPWD <password>
>
> From the command line, how can I change the password that OEM uses
> (both standalone and using OMS).
>
> Thanks very much,
>
> Michael

Michael,

the action that you performed achieved part of the directive.

What the oradim command likely did was change the password value in the password file. It did not likely affect the password inside the database for the sys account.
It had no effect on the system account's password within the database.

You could attempt to connect to the database instance as the system account and verify this.

The password file is required when attempting to authenticate without operating system authentication being used, for the purpose of starting the database instance (bootstrap). If the database instance is not started, then the database instance cannot be used to perform the authentication.

you still need to change the password for sys, system whose hash is visible via the view dba_users, via sqlplus "password" or via alter user.

this material is covered quite well in the documentation. Here is a good place to start:
http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/win.920/a95490/username.htm#1005685 http://download-west.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/server.920/a96521/dba.htm#1207

You mentioned that your database version is 8.1.7. You might as well get used to reading the 9.2 docs, as 8.1.7 goes off of support in less than 6 months.

-bdbafh Received on Sat Jul 10 2004 - 18:43:19 CDT