Re: DB instance grabs port 8009?

From: Paul Drake <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: 10 Jul 2004 11:23:06 -0700

scott.royston_at_gmail.com (Scott Royston) wrote in message news:<f2d857e.0407090755.9233b8f_at_posting.google.com>...
> I'm trying to use oracle 9 with JBoss on the same machine (windows
> xp). JBoss uses JServ for webserver/jsp-servlet communcation, which
> uses port 8009. When I try to start up JBoss with an oracle DB
> service up and running it complains the 8009 is already bound. If I
> stop the DB instance service it loads up fine. I'm not sure why a DB
> Instance is grabbing that port. I found a JServ directory in the
> oracle install, and found a jserv.properties file that had a "port="
> setting, but that didn't seem to do anything.
>
> Thanks

any port above 1024 can be used for dedicated server connections. Its not the database instance's fault that it used the port, as you failed to reeserve it. did you actually expect redmond to reserve a port for open source software?

there is a file in win32 named "services" that is used for reserving ports, which is located in:

W2K C:\WINNT\system32\drivers\etc
WinXP C:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc

you'll need to be logged in with privileges that can modify the file.

c:\> echo ajp13 8009/tcp >>
%SystemRoot%\drivers\etc\services

shutdown the database instance.
restart the desktop.

hth.

-bdbafh
(part-time BOFH, lin/win) Received on Sat Jul 10 2004 - 13:23:06 CDT