Re: Load DB2 TIME data

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 15:34:11 GMT

tunity5_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> I have some files that contain DB2 TIME data. It is not quite the
> DATE type found in Oracle: It only contains hours + minutes + seconds
> within a 24-hour period.
>
> My question is what is the best way to load this data into Oracle 9i?
> Ideally, I would like to preserve the "time" property, instead of
> converting it to a CHAR type during the load.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Oracle9i supports several date & time datatypes. The most common one, called 'DATE' stores "YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS" (without punctuation), and one commonly retrieves the info using a mask. Most apps that need to meet your requirements simply only specify the TIME portion.

You can also use TIMESTAMP, and you can create your own definition usin Oracle's Object Type capability as well.

Time to hit the manuals .... specifically chapter 2 of the SQL Reference manual at http://docs.oracle.com Received on Sun Jul 04 2004 - 10:34:11 CDT