Re: Is this a good use for an IOT type table or are therebettersolutions.

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 22:34:03 +0000 (UTC)

Note in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

April 2004 Iceland  http://www.index.is/oracleday.php
June  2004      UK - Optimising Oracle Seminar

"Brian Peasland" <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote in message

> > the date we get is of the form '6/21/2003 00:00:00' they all default to
0
> > hour regardless of the actual hour, to_char will just give us the zero
hour

> Then it looks to me like the data was inserted incorrectly. They should
> have inserted SYSDATE into this column, not TRUNC(SYSDATE). By doing so,
> an extra column was forced to be added to capture information that could
> have been captured correctly in one column.

It doesn't seem entirely reasonable to criticise the application without knowing what it's most common purpose is. If I spend all my time doing things like: give me the data points for 5:00 every day for the last 4 weeks (which is a typical query in parts of the electricity supply industry) then isolating the hour and date gives me a potential 24x performance benefit, because I don't have to range scan through all the data for the data range, checking the date/time stamp and discarding the wrong hours.