Re: Is this a good use for an IOT type table or are there better solutions.

From: Mark <simmons_mark_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 25 Mar 2004 09:32:54 -0800

To be honest, I havent' used IOT's that much. Where I have implemented them, they have been lightning fast for range scans compared to a heap table.

Johnathan Lewis or one of the other super Oracle experts could probably throw in some more info. (There's another guy here "srivenu" that always seems to have the inside scoop too.) Also, I think there are few good articles on when to use IOT on asktom.oracle.com.

Once of the things, I'd be interested in hearing is if the IOT will save you space with a really large table like your's. The IOT's that I've used, ended up taking about the same amount of space as a heap table + primary key. I was a little surprised at that, but I was thinking that maybe it was because I was using them on a fairly small tables.

Mark Simmons
Sr. Oracle DBA
Sabre-Holdings, Southlake, TX