Re: Can an O9.2 client see an O10g DB?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 18:00:06 -0800

Chris Allen wrote:

> In the Windows version of the the Oracle 9.1 SQL*Plus, the message I get
> when I try to connect to the Linux-based O10g database is:
>
> ORA-12541: TNS:no listener
>
> Over on the Linux box, I can run SQL*Plus with the instance's SID and get in
> without any problem, so the SID info seems OK.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks.

There is no difference connecting Oracle from any client operating system to any server operating system. TNSNAMES is pretty much TNSNAMES. Did you set ORACLE_SID? ORACLE_HOME?

Here's a piece of a TNSNAMES that connects me from my W2K box to a RedHat Linux SE3 box.

TOPDOG =
   (DESCRIPTION =

     (ADDRESS_LIST =
       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 19X.16X.1.20X)(PORT = 1521))
     )
     (CONNECT_DATA =
       (SERVER = DEDICATED)
       (SERVICE_NAME = oem1)