Re: Alert Log Monitoring / Notification

From: Glen A Stromquist <glen_stromquist_at_no_spam_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 03:35:31 GMT

Brian Peasland wrote:

>>I use OEM to alert via e-mail for certain things, which then gets
>>forwarded to my cellphone e-mail, and it is usually, but not always
>>instantaneous in sending the e-mail. I can't recall any time that it was
>>held up in the internal e-mail, but I have received the messages hours
>>late on my cell at times, but I attributed that to the less than ideal
>>digital coverage in my area...

> Why not email directly to your phone then? You could even set up OEM to
> email your work account during the day and your phone during off hours,
> for example.
>
> Cheers,
> Brian

Tried that, but the way our internal e-mail is set up it wouldnt work, so I had to get our exchange guru to set up a separate e-mail called oralert (or something like that) and have any e-mails coming to that account auto forwarded to an outside smtp account. It would not work with my regular internal e-mail address, but I can't remember exactly why now...

I'd have to say for the most part this works very well, when I shut an instance down often within seconds my phone beeps indicating a message, but sometimes it wont arrive until much later, but I blame that on the telco as the same thing happens with voicemail from time to time.

I'm waiting until blackberry coverage gets a bit better up here, thinking that the e-mails will be much easier to read than scrolling thru in the tiny cellphone display.

cheers
GAS Received on Tue Mar 09 2004 - 21:35:31 CST