Re: Very high CPU on OS side vs very high dbFileSeqRead on Oracle side...

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2004 15:35:10 -0800

spendius_at_muchomail.com (Spendius) wrote in message news:<aba30b75.0403050016.4d375744_at_posting.google.com>...
> sybrandb_at_yahoo.com wrote...
> > [...]
> > This is an application/database design issue, what you are looking at
> > is the result of an ill-designed application which is constantly
> > querying/updating the same keys over and over again.
> That's what we've been beginning to suspect for a few days... But
> I guess you know the developers and project leaders: they can't
> stand the slightest form of critics.

Shoot, I thought you meant you had a packaged app. Sybrand nailed it as usual.

> > Seems like a case of silver bullet tuning and more is better.
> Sorry here but my English is not good enough: what does "silver
> bullet" mean ?

It refers to monsters like werewolves that can only be killed by inserting silver into the heart (originally, silver daggers). So in software reference, it means a magic single solution to a horror bug or performance problem or development cost. It also refers to depleted uranium bullets, and most importantly, Coors Lite, an amazingly bad beer, yet the third best selling beer in America, which means a whole lot of beer.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.beerhunter.com/documents/19133-001573.html