Re: [RMAN] backup to disk

From: Roman Klesel <rupa_at_firemail.de>
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:11:21 +0000 (UTC)

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 15:27:05 GMT, Brian Peasland <dba_at_remove_spam.peasland.com> wrote: >> Can the backup now be deleted on disk? > >Yes it can, but RMAN can't use it.... > >> Or will rman then get confused next time when it doesn't find it's files? > >RMAN will expect the backup to be where it left it. So if you move the >backup piece to tape and subsequently delete it from disk, you'll need >to restore the backup piece before RMAN can use it. Or, you can employ a >solution where RMAN will backup directly to tape and then expect it to >be on the tape when it needs it.

Oh sorry! I failed to describe things properly.

My concern is not what to do when I need to do restore and recovery in the above mentioned scenario.

My concern is:

when RMAN next time will do a backup it might not find its previous dumps and mark those files as missing in the controlfile ( target / nocatalog). I'm worried that when I then restore them from tape RMAN will tell:

NO valid backup set found!

...or something like this.

Although the files are physicaly present on disk.

Roman Received on Tue Mar 02 2004 - 10:11:21 CST