Re: moving oracle database server into a new server

From: Hans Forbrich <hforbric_at_yahoo.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:15:46 GMT

Glen A Stromquist wrote:

> Hans - isn't "minor disaster" a tad oxymoron*ish? ;-)

Not really - disaster indicating there is an significant need to handle the problem, major/minor indicates the relative effort or immediacy required.

An example: spilling coffee on a business suit. It's always a disaster.   If it happens immediately before the meeting with the VP of HR to discuss your future in the company, it's a major disaster. If it happens after the meeting, on the way to the bar to celebrate the raise, it's a minor disaster. (Not that the latter has happened to me! <g>)

> but then again, I guess it could be the same as a "major glitch" ,
> another term one hears from time to time....

Glitch, on the other hand, is a very technical term - the sudden change in period of rotation of a neutron star*. If that star happened to be near by, I'd consider it to be a major event. However, on the other side of the universe**, it's simply a minor glitch.

But - "a tad oxymoron*ish"???

/Hans
* http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=glitch ** Everyone knows the universe is flat, right? And therefore has sides. Received on Mon Mar 01 2004 - 15:15:46 CST