Re: star transformation not chosen because of bind variables

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:40:14 +0100

Note in-line

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____Finland__September 22nd - 24th
____Norway___September 25th - 26th
____UK_______December (UKOUG conference)

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____USA__October
____UK___November

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Daniel Morgan" <damorgan_at_x.washington.edu> wrote in message

> Jim Reesman wrote:
>
> >In the following listing, the first query has 2 literal values in
the
> >where clause. It results in a star transformation being chosen and
the
> >plan and response time are good. The second query has simply had
the 2
> >literals replaced with bind variables. Despite including the
> >STAR_TRANSFORMATION hint, the CBO chooses the full scan and index
> >range scans (it does so seemingly without regard to _any_ hints -
eg.
> >FACT () ).
> >
> >How can I get the second query to use the first execution plan? I'm
> >using 9.2.
>
> I can't wait to see the answer because from my experience hints are
> often ignored.
> And yet others have repeated posted that they are not. This looks
like a
> good test case.

9.2 Data warehousing guide, p.17-12 Star transformation is not supported for ... queries that contain bind variables. Hints are only obeyed if they are legal, correct, and used in the correct context. The major pain in the backside with Oracle is finding the bit in the documentation where you get told what is legal - I checked the SQL Reference and the Performance Guide (where it mentioned that you can't use star_transformation with cursor_sharing) before I got to the Datawarehouse Guide. It's always a good source of clues for optimizer issues.