Re: LMT advice

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:31:12 GMT

"Jonathan Lewis" <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:bl71jd$os7$2$8302bc10_at_news.demon.co.uk...

> The argument I have in favour of picking a few sizes for
> uniform is that I don't like to see status reports that are
> longer than a few lines. One of my reasons for choosing
> a particular extent size for an object is that if it is a growing
> object, I want to see a report showing that my predictions
> about the rate of growth are correct - any incorrect prediction
> should be taken as a performance threat.
>
> By choosing an extent size that corresponds to a
> growth rate of about one extent per month, I can
> get a report of 'what grew last night' or 'what grew
> this week' that is only a few lines, so that anything
> growing too rapidly stands out quite quickly.
>
> Having a short-list where the change in magnitude
> is relatively small makes it quite easy to hit the
> target of roughly one extent per month.

Hi Jonathan,

Although not as "obvious" as your reports, I find a group by clause, the odd sum and count functions combined with a having clause does an adequate job of finding trouble segments. Effort still required there somewhere ....

But I agree, monitoring form a capacity management point of view (and a few other perspectives as well) is still important no matter one's extent management policies.

Cheers

Richard Received on Sun Sep 28 2003 - 17:31:12 CDT