Re: Suggestions for first exam ...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:22:27 +1000

"Richard Foote" <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com> wrote in message news:rGgdb.126227$bo1.111770_at_news-server.bigpond.net.au...

> IT CAN'T HAPPEN IN ORACLE !! I screamed at the screen to which the other
> DBAs in my area looked nervously in my direction.

:)

I don't understand this thread quite well. It's all mixed up in my news server. So forgive me if I'm jumping in at the end.

One thing that still bugs me after all this time:

Everyone keeps talking about "balanced B-trees". I'm afraid if anyone cares to go through some of the definition sites through google or cares to read the "Bible", Knuth's books, it will become abundantly clear why this is wrong:

the "B" in "B-trees" ALREADY stands for "Balanced". To claim that Oracle uses the balanced version of something that is already balanced is IMHO wrong.

It's been there since the year dot. It's not a new problem. And Oracle has made it clear since the start their indexes are balanced trees, or "B-trees". IIRC, they have been so since Oracle V4.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto